Adsense2

Monday, July 25, 2005

The Rich Trample The Poor

They tell us that we live in a great free republic; that our institutions are democratic; that we are a free and self-governing people. That is too much, even for a joke….
Wars throughout history have been waged for conquest and plunder…. And that is war in a nutshell. The master class has always declared the wars; the subject class has always fought the battles….


Eugene Debs

Think about the words of that great American, spoken in a speech given in June of 1918. Debs had just visited men who were in prison for opposing the draft. At his trial, after he was arrested for making that speech, Debs spoke these words:

I have been accused of obstructing the war. I admit it. Gentlemen, I abhor war. I would oppose it if I stood alone…I have sympathy with the suffering, struggling people everywhere. It does not make any difference under what flag they were born, or where they live…

Your honor, years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element; I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.


Eugene Debs was found guilty of violating the Espionage Act and sentenced to ten years in jail. It is now 2005 and the United States is still waging wars for conquest and plunder. Our leaders and rich neighbors want all the cheap oil they can possibly waste. Our corporate executives want millions of dollars in annual salaries. These same robber barons want to keep millions from getting proper health care or a living wage. Politicians that stole the people's vote with lies and fear about weapons of mass destruction want to build more bombs to drop on the poor. Your schools and roads are crumbling, your taxes are going up along with the prices of everything you need. The government prints fake reports to make you believe everyone is employed yet millions are out of work. Business people tell you the economy is great but the National Debt is more than $7,875,946,479,699.72!!! Almost 8 trillion dollars of debt is not a sign of a great economy, it is a measure of how severe the nation's economic crisis actually is.

No comments: